Monday, October 26, 2009

Sent A Hand Written Letter Recently?

When is the last time you sat down, got out a pen and wrote someone a letter?

Not an email or a text or going online for a computer generated postcard. No, no. I'm talking about a real-life handwritten letter. Been a while, huh?

Well, you're not alone. Hardly anyone sends handwritten letters anymore, and that's a shame.

A few years ago after sending countless emails and voice mails (no response) I finally sat down and wrote a handwritten letter to a prospect. Nothing elaborate, just some thoughts on a piece of paper. I got the appointment and the business.

No one...Let me say this again...No one...sends handwritten letters anymore. Do you want to get noticed? Do you want to make a point? Do you want to show you cared to take time?

Send a letter.

Email used to be great. Now, I get email from everyone (employees, colleagues, vendors, son's teacher, son's coaches, etc.) . I fly through them as quickly as possible.

Not a letter. I don't get any (I can't remember the last one I got). I'll stop and take a look at a letter.

Warren Buffet once said about investing: "When people panic, that's when you should remain calm. When people are calm, you should panic."

The same holds true with communication. When no one is sending letters, it's time to get the pen out and be heard.

--Ron Ameln, SBM

No comments:

Post a Comment